All of the quarterbacks on the Denver Broncos‘ roster are ineligible to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints after being deemed high-risk, close contacts in COVID-19 tracing, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Saturday.
Drew Lock and Brett Rypien, the two quarterbacks on the active roster, and practice squad quarterback Blake Bortles were deemed to be high risk because they were not wearing their masks, a source told Schefter.
The Broncos will not be forfeiting, a source told Schefter.
The concerns have arisen since the Broncos moved quarterback Jeff Driskel to the reserve/COVID-19 list Thursday morning after a positive test result.
Lock, Rypien and Bortles, who were on the field during an open viewing period at the start of Saturday’s practice, were pulled from the workout before it was finished, sources told ESPN. All three have taken additional POC tests since Thursday and all three have come back negative so far.
On Saturday, Fangio said the quarterbacks are more than six feet apart from each other during meetings and that “all our meetings are set up to where everybody’s spread out.”
Fangio said the NFL had cleared the Broncos to practice both Thursday and Friday after positive tests by Driskel and wide receiver Diontae Spencer. Fangio, however, elected to cancel Friday’s practice and all other on-site activities.
The Broncos had been given clearance by the NFL to practice Saturday.
ESPN’s Jeff Legwold contributed to this report.